I am an active member of the international scholarly community of management and organization studies, and have also contributed to research outlets, conferences, and research networks in the fields of communication, entrepreneurship, sociology, and cultural studies. I have presented papers, acted as a convenor, and/or organized panels at conferences such as the European Group of Organization Studies (EGOS), the annual meeting of the Academy of Management (AoM), the International Communication Association (ICA) conference, and the European network of the Sociology of the Arts (ESA). Furthermore, I have acted as a reviewer for the following journals: Organization Studies, Human Relations, International Journal of Management Reviews, and Entrepreneurship and Regional Development.
I am also actively involved in various initiatives that span national and disciplinary boundaries, and bring academic research into ‘the real world’. These include:
- Vizier, a Belgian-Dutch research network for young academics working at the intersection of culture and economics,
- and I currently coordinate the Amsterdam branch of the international Research Group Collaborative Spaces, an association and international academic network bringing together scholars studying business incubators, start-ups, co-working spaces, and the like.
- Furthermore, for the past four years, I have organized the annual ‘off-EGOS’ Space, Creativity, & Organizing Workshop, which has brought academics into hacker spaces, and art galleries, discussing issues such as smell, play, and movement.
- My research and fieldwork has resulted in a position on the board of Urban Resort, a non-profit organization with about twenty employees, which main business is in developing and running spaces for cultural entrepreneurship.
- I am an associate member of the Centre for Digital Cultures at Leuphana University, and an associate scholar of the DFG (Deutsche Forschungsgesellschaft) network on Grand Challenges and New Forms of Organizing