I am an active member of the international scholarly community of management and organization studies, and have also contributed to research outlets, conferences, and research networks in the fields of communication, entrepreneurship, sociology, and cultural studies. I have presented papers, acted as a convenor, and/or organized panels at conferences such as the European Group of Organization Studies (EGOS), the annual meeting of the Academy of Management (AoM), the International Communication Association (ICA) conference, and the European network of the Sociology of the Arts (ESA). I have reviewed for the journals Organization Studies, Human Relations, International Journal of Management Reviews, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, Journal of Business Ethics, Ephemera, Culture & Organization, and City, Culture & Society, as well as for the divisions Entrepreneurship, Organization and Management Theory, and Critical Management Studies of the Academy of Management.
I am also actively involved in various initiatives that span national and disciplinary boundaries, and bring academic research into ‘the real world’. These include:
- Vizier, a Belgian-Dutch research network for young academics working at the intersection of culture and economics,
- The Amsterdam branch of the international Research Group Collaborative Spaces, an association and international academic network bringing together scholars studying business incubators, start-ups, co-working spaces, and the like.
- Furthermore, since 2015 and together with Nicolas Bencherki, I have organized the annual ‘off-EGOS’ Space, Creativity, & Organizing Workshop, which has brought academics into hacker spaces, art galleries, and cultural venues in order to explore and discuss how things like smell, play, and movement affect knowledge production
- My research and fieldwork resulted in a position on the board of Urban Resort (2015-2019), a non-profit organization with about twenty employees, which main business is in developing and running spaces for cultural entrepreneurship.
- I have given lectures and have led workshops (in Dutch, English, French, and German) for wider audiences interested in the intersections between creative workspaces, new forms of organizing, and the future of work. Places and organizations which have invited me include: Amsterdam’s city council, Iepen UP Live (Omrop Fryslân), and Museum Lüneburg.